Thursday, September 4, 2014

The First of Many

Or...The First Many More

Two blogs in a row with real updates, I almost feel like a real blogger. Yesterday marked a tremendous day for my plan to move into an RV full time. With just a few hours of daylight left, the overall plan became more real to me than it has been yet.

Because I have finally checked the first box on my main to-do list. Yesterday afternoon, as soon as I got off work, I bought the RV.

It's as tall as my house.

That's right ladies and gents, I am now the proud owner of a 1982 Vogue II Class A RV. Yes, it's bigger than I had originally intended to buy (by about 5 feet or so), and yes, that makes it a bit more of a hassle as a tour vehicle, as it will be more difficult to park for a gig (again, only by about 5 feet or so). And it does need some work.

The important stuff first. It runs, and runs well. The transmission is good, the engine is good, the tires are great (even the spare), the generator is good, there's no water damage or leaking or structural problems. Even the extendable awning works a treat and is in great condition. The battery bank was replaced last year with brand new batteries.

There are some niggles, though. A few of the interior lights are blown, or at least I hope they're blown. If they're not, I might have some wiring adventures in my future. It DESPERATELY needs cleaning. The interior is hideously ugly. The built in vacuum cleaner either doesn't work or isn't properly connected. The built in CB radio doesn't work and needs to be replaced. The main AC unit was removed and needs to be replaced, and the dash AC needs to be converted to be charged without freon, and there are loads on loads of unknowns. That's okay though, because for my budget, I never expected to get a gem. I always knew there'd be work to do, and that work starts tomorrow.

Starting tomorrow (on top of all of my other errands and chores to do), I'll be working down the to-do list, beginning with a VERY deep cleaning. As I go, the to-do list will get longer and longer as I find more to do, more to fix, more to test and more to change. This was always intended to be an ongoing and intensive project, but just from testing it out on the spot before I bought it, and driving it home, and exploring its plethora of abilities in the driveway at home, this RV is damn near liveable already.

While the biggest item on my checklist has been checked off, and almost a full 2 months ahead of schedule, the meat of the project begins now. I have the RV, now it's time to get to work taking it off the grid, and making it a home worth living in.

-Z

P.S. Yes I already own the RV, but that's just the beginning of my expenses. The Indiegogo campaign is still live, and I'm still happily accepting your donations for the next 13 days. Every dime helps go toward fixing up the RV to make it a completely off-grid home.

No comments:

Post a Comment