Friday, May 15, 2015

Bucket List

Or...Another To-Do List

Over the last week, I've had the luxury of a few moments of free time, unburdened by my mountainous to-do lists and work and projects. During these precious moments, I've reflected on what opportunities this project will afford me in the future, and the follow list was started, but by no means completed. A Boondock Life Bucket List.




  • First and foremost, at my first available opportunity, I want to visit Walden Pond. Henry David Throeau's book Walden has been a major inspiration in my life, and in this project, and I want to sit on the shore that he sat on and reflect on those waters that he wrote so much about, and have a taste of that experience which is a driving inspiration of my own.
  • I've never seen the desert. The farthest west I've ever been was Las Vegas, but I didn't actually see anything, save for the inside of my hotel and the street that it was on. I flew in at night, I flew out at night. I want to see the endless expanse of sand and rock and red and yellow and orange, and watch it all turn blue when the stars come out.
  • I've never seen the Pacific Ocean. I've hardly ever seen the Atlantic. I want to watch the waves that have traveled thousands of miles, from Europe and from Asia, come and crash at my feet.
  • I want to see a morning, and a night, and hear a silence and eat a meal, and entertain an audience in every state. Granted, driving to Hawaii will be a challenge.
  • I want to take someone with me. I'm not the solitary creature that my idol Thoreau was, I crave company and discourse and shared silence. I'm in no shortage of friends that, in my humble opinion, could use an adventure, and it would be my very great honor to take them on one with me.
As I said, this list is far from complete. I'm undertaking this wild journey to experience more, of myself and of the world, and the more I experience, the more I learn, and that learning opens the door to yet more experience. And so the list will grow, and before this is all said and done, and either I've lived life on the road enough to satisfy me or my debt of life is paid, I plan to cross every entry off with a smile.

-Z

No comments:

Post a Comment